The Department of Pharmacology, Jayawant Shikshan Prasarak Mandal’s Jayawant Institute of Pharmacy comprises highly qualified and experienced faculty.
The scope of the department is to provide quality education in pharmacology & physiology for the students of D. Pharm. The department trains D. Pharm students to understand the mechanisms of drug actions and their reactions on biological systems. The department of Pharmacology is equipped with all the required instruments to carry out the practical by the students viz:. Actophotometer, Analgesiometer (Eddy’s hot plate), Electro Convulsiometer, Haemocytometer with Micropipettes, Microscopes & Permanent Slides for various tissues, Models for various organs & Bones and Skeleton, Perspex bath assembly (single unit), Pole climbing apparatus, Histamine Chamber, Sahli’s haemocytometer, Sherrington’s Kymograph Machine, Sphygmomanometer & Stethoscope. The staff of Department of Pharmacology is actively involved research projects.
The Scope of the Department of Pharmacology is to carry out teaching learning process, scientific research and evidence-based teaching, expanding on our track record of innovation and excellence in both research and teaching.
The Department of Pharmacology is well known academic Department in the disciplines of Physiology and Pharmacology.
List of Facilities
1. All blood tests including Blood group detection, Blood sugar detection, and evaluation of hematologic problems like anemia, bleeding disorders such as hemophilia, blood clots and blood cancers such as leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma.
2. Simulated drug testing viz:. Drug testing can be done by using frog heart. spasmogenic activity and peristaltic moment testing on chick ileum, rat ileum, rabbit ileum by using simulated models. Cosmetic testing on animals involves general toxicity, eye and skin irritancy, phototoxicity and mutagenicity, Preclinical toxicology tests, In vitro techniques include: Organ cultures, Tissue slices, Primary cell cultures, Established cell lines, Stem cells without using animals. We also provide opportunities for a research-based projects.
3. Also they learn about effects of drugs on Rabbits eye to understand autonomic pharmacology. The sympathetic and parasympathetic control of pupil diameter and how pupil diameter changes in response to a change in ambient light intensity will be extensively covered. Neuro-muscular Blockers and drugs effects on skeletal muscle preparations are also covered. The effect of drugs on the slow muscle fibers of Toads abdominis muscle is also examined and to differentiate between the spastic paralysis and flaccid paralysis by studying the Neuro-muscular Blockers effect on chick.
4. Human Anatomy & Physiology course introduces students to the fundamental principles of biology emphasizing the structure and function of the human body. The course will begin with a general introduction to biology and the scientific method. It continues with an overview of organic chemistry, a study of cellular and tissue structure and function, the organization and regulation of body systems, and then move on to survey each of the following organ systems of the human body: cardiovascular, lymphatic and immune, digestive, respiratory, urinary, skeletal, muscular, nervous, endocrine, and reproductive. The course closes with introductions to genetics, and human evolution and ecology.
5. Online laboratory experiences and exercises are incorporated which will provide the student with a deeper and practical understanding of the basic principles of human anatomy and physiology by using laboratory simulation software.